Monday, July 13, 2009

What's That?

I am an Occupational Therapist.

I love my job, but some days wish I had chosen one of the better known professions within the field of allied health. Everyone knows basically what a Physiotherapist does, and has at least heard of a Speech Therapist, but OT? No idea. I find myself having to explain in many different ways, depending on the audience, what it is exactly that I do.

I have discovered that the best way to answer the question is by providing anecdotal information or case studies based on the hundreds of clients I have seen over the years. I have worked with people of all ages, in many different settings with a fantastic range of physical and psychological injuries, illnesses and conditions.

I love my job, and find it incredibly fascinating. I hope through my blog posts, you will come to understand more about the field of Occupational Therapy, and also enjoy reading about some of the more interesting people I have come across over the years.

As a last word for now, I should mention that I take my job seriously and have the utmost respect for those people who have allowed me to work so closely with them, particularly when they have been at their most vulnerable. I do have a sense of humour however, and sometimes life is funny. If I happen to offend anyone, please let me know ASAP.

I will be omitting any identifying information to ensure confidentiality is maintained.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. All comments are moderated and will be posted as soon as this process has occurred. Thanks for reading my blog!